This Friday night I made some super delicious stromboli for the first time. So what is stromboli, exactly? Well, the exact definition made be left to the foodie dictionaries, but for the practical little people in all of us, stromboli is basically a pizza sandwich. Or hot pocket, whatever you would like to call it.
If you’ve ever made pizza, then you should have no problem making this beautiful little calorie cushion. And even if you haven’t, never fear. It can be done.
So….anyway, about last night. Yes. It was a rather sudden, requested dish, but it was made with everything I had in my fridge. And it didn’t take very long to cook…a mere 18 minutes! And what is 18 minutes among hungry savages? ;0
While it takes 15 minutes to cook, making everything for it will take a little longer, so we had better get started.
Chicken (leg quarters or drumstick meat is the cheapest.)
1. Preheat oven to 450º F.
2. Divide pizza dough into two balls
3. Smother baking sheet with olive oil
4. Roll out one dough ball on the baking sheet, making a square
5. Put sauce, cooked and seasoned chicken, herbs, cheese and whatever you want your stromboli to be filled with, on one side of the dough square.
6. Beat the egg, and brush it on the sides and corners of the dough
7. Fold one side of the dough over the toppings side. Like you’re folding a sheet.
8. Press the corners together, and bake for about 18 minutes, or until dough is cooked
9. Cut, eat, and enjoy!
See how easy it is? Anyone can make it, and it tastes delicious!